Saturday, April 6, 2013
Duran Kotze
I know right, weird title to a blog. It will all make sense when you guys get to see our second episode out on Wednesday 10 April. On Monday Eston called me, as I was just leaving the gym and said to me, "I've got the camera, keen for a mission?" So we headed out to Stellenbosch, about 30 minutes drive from Cape Town.
I met Duren in the streets of Stellenbosch a few months ago. I saw him zoom past me on skates and scrambled to catch up to him. I was so impressed with his skill and wanted to know more about this kid. He invited me to his home and I was quite shocked when we arrived. He lives next to the Stellenbosch dumping site with his grandma and mother in a 3 x 2 meter, badly damaged Wendy house. He shares a bed with his mother as there is not enough space.
We soon learned that the dumping site was their salvation. It is where Duren goes everyday to find something to sell to feed the family. This kid not only looks after his family but "sponsors" three teenagers that he is currently teaching how to skate. When ever he can, he barters and exchanges different items that he has found on the dumping site for wheels or skates, for the simple reason to teach these kids how to skate.
He is a phenomenal person and skater and I can't wait to see what he can do on ice!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment