Sunday, April 14, 2013
Duran on Ice
It was an early start for me today. I was up and on the road by 4 am, determined to get Duran some ice time. This week we have the Ice Hockey world championships being held at Grand West Casino. I spoke to Jason, events organizer for the Western Province Ice Hockey Association, on Friday to try and organise some ice time. He informed me that it would be really tough to get scheduled because of the world championships starting on Monday. We made arrangements for the 28th instead and told him that I'd send him the links to our episodes as well. About five minutes later I got a call back from Jason and he was like "Scheldon, we have to get this guy on ice immediately!"
So this morning was exactly what I expected. Being his first time on ice ever, Duran attracted quite a lot of attention at first, for it was ice hockey practice for some. He was a bit sketchy at first but soon found his feet and was going backwards in no time, as if he was born on ice! This boy truly has an amazing talent and as soon as he got off we had professional players approaching him wanting to know how he is that good! What an experience it was, unfortunately Eston could not be with us today so we do not have any quality footage on film but I did pull out the old trusty blackberry and got some sick footage of him skating. I wish you guys could see the raw excitement on his face, it was priceless.
We stayed for a bit as players from Greece had the opportunity to use the ice. Duren was completely fixated on them and after a while just turned to me and said: "I want to do this!" I replied: "Well you're doing it."
What a day it has been! The first hockey lessons on Sunday the 28th of April should be epic!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment